Getting to Tonga can seem daunting but we have some suggestions on the best ways to get you there:
How do I get to Tonga?
- You will need to fly into the main island of Tonga which is called Tongatapu. The capital city is called Nukuʻalofa and the international airport is called Fuaʻamotu International Airport.
- Nuku’alofa is accessible by flights only from Australia (Virgin Australia), New Zealand (Air New Zealand) and Fiji (Fiji Airways).
How do I get to my tour base?
- Our tours depart from two islands, Vava’u and Ha’apai.
- Not sure which island your tour is leaving from? Any tour number designated with an H in the tour number e.g. 6H, 7H, 8H leaves from Ha’apai while all other tours leave from Vava’u.
- Vava’u and Ha’apai are both accessed via short domestic flights via Real Tonga airlines.
- For Vava’u tours, look for Tongatapu –>Vava’U Lupepau’U flight options.
- For Ha’apai tours, look for Tongatapu –>Ha’apai Pilolevu flight options.
My international flight doesn’t match up with the domestic flight timings?
Most flights arriving into Nuku’alofa may require an overnight stay before flying to Vava’u and Ha’apai due to the Real Tonga flight schedule not matching international arrivals. We have a few accommodation recommendations here
We want to arrive early/stay later, why aren’t there any flights on a Sunday?
Due to Tongan custom, there are no flights or business tradings on a Sunday so you will need to take this restriction into consideration when arranging travel arrangements.
I’m not sure my flights are correct. Help!
We are happy to check your travel arrangements for you prior to your booking them, please don’t hesitate to reach out at any time!